Monday, June 29, 2009
Now I have plenty of open links that haven't been sealed shut, lots of possibilities- maybe a necklace or another bracelet?
One thing I've learned from using the extruder to make the snakes is that the clay should be fresh and not reconstituted- otherwise it will look rough and fall apart more easily.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Once I find my colored pencils, I'll try this experiment again.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Sooo, I'm not sure if these would considered success stories since it didn't patina the way I wanted- prolly need to look into a different ammonia since this one only patinaed certain spots on the metals. Maybe just straight ammonia would be better- no froufrou lemon scents, etc..what can I say- my options were limited at the store, lol.
The cheesecloth bracelet was my first try and it stayed in the 'fuming tent' overnight and this is what it looked like- one caveat: I forgot to use distilled water when I dunked it in the saltwater solution. Could this make a big difference?
On my second try I remembered to used distilled water and added more kosher salt to the mix. These stayed in the container for about 5 days- after the second day I didn't notice any extra patina growing, but left them in there just to see if any more color would deposit. Something odd about this batch is that the area of patina had/has a slightly shinier look than the rest of the metal- almost like plastic. Is this due to the longer duration or maybe the additives in the ammonia? Another thing I noticed is that this process seemed to darken the copper clay slightly. I plan on ordering some sanding and polishing accessories so I can clean the metal better- this could also have affected my results. It was a fun experiment and I mean to try again when I have better ammonia and cleaning tools.
Friday, June 12, 2009
This is the only ammonia I can find in the stores, places like Target don't carry it. Maybe grocery stores are most likely to carry products like this? Not even sure that this is the correct ammonia to patina metal. We'll find out in the morning!
Here is what I've done so far:
Found an empty plastic container w/ lid and poked two holes in top to string bracelet up so it doesn't touch ammonia in bottom of container. I used twine as my hanger, hope it doesn't matter what the material is.
Folded a paper towel and placed it in the bottom of the container, then poured ammonia to saturate. Left this outside since I'm sure it will be stinky.
Next, I tied my loop and hung my bracelet.
After mixing the salt water solution, I dunked my suspended bracelet- I didn't want to touch it w/ my hands and get oil on it.
Since my bracelet is already attached to the lid via the string, all I had to do was put on the lid and set the container someplace it won't get knocked over outside.
I'll try and post pics of the results in the morning, if I have time. My friend, Sheryll, is getting married down in Big Sur tomorrow, I hope the weather is gorgeous for her big day!
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
*Please ignore the loose pieces of charcoal since these haven't been cleaned yet*
The patina is what was present after fishing them from the firing chamber. You can see the smallest has a tear on the bottom where my seam was weak- turns out it's not that big a deal to refire it since I need to add a jump ring so it will hang correctly. Let's hope it's not difficult to fix.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
I had to remake a clasp for my cheesecloth bracelet since the one I refired due to breakage ended up spreading apart and when I tried to move it closer together, it broke again :(
Let's hope the copprclay one is a little bit stronger. Next on my agenda is a hinged bracelet of some sort, perhaps w/ empty chambers to add some resin..
Still haven't managed to master tear away texture- it seems a bit tricky, but I'm determined to get it down.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
With the tube attached- made w/ my extruder- all I had to do was use a headpin and add a pearl, wire wrap and voila! a pair of earrings.
This happened purely due to the reason that I didn't want to have to add a hole and then use a jumpring, etc. and I wanted to leave the front of the oval unmarred- imagine if you wanted to put writing or a certain design that would be ruined by a hole, maybe this would be useful.