Friday, June 12, 2009

Patina Experimentation

I'm going to try and patina my cheesecloth bracelet!
This is the only ammonia I can find in the stores, places like Target don't carry it. Maybe grocery stores are most likely to carry products like this? Not even sure that this is the correct ammonia to patina metal. We'll find out in the morning!
Here is what I've done so far:
Found an empty plastic container w/ lid and poked two holes in top to string bracelet up so it doesn't touch ammonia in bottom of container. I used twine as my hanger, hope it doesn't matter what the material is.
Folded a paper towel and placed it in the bottom of the container, then poured ammonia to saturate. Left this outside since I'm sure it will be stinky.
Next, I tied my loop and hung my bracelet.
After mixing the salt water solution, I dunked my suspended bracelet- I didn't want to touch it w/ my hands and get oil on it.
Since my bracelet is already attached to the lid via the string, all I had to do was put on the lid and set the container someplace it won't get knocked over outside.

I'll try and post pics of the results in the morning, if I have time. My friend, Sheryll, is getting married down in Big Sur tomorrow, I hope the weather is gorgeous for her big day!

2 comments:

Barbara Lewis said...

I've been successful in oxidizing brass using a similar technique. I put the brass item in a plastic bag with a paper towel moistened in ammonia. In no time you start to see results. I'm anxious to see the results of your experiment!

Ruth said...

Hmmm. I tried a similar thing but wasn't terribly successful. I think the type of ammonia is the answer. Interested to see how it turns out.