Friday, September 18, 2009

Coring my Beads

It was so fun getting to try the different presses available for big hole beads. My very first try was the cobalt blue w/ the bead cap on the Impress Bead Liner by Dave Fousek. Hayley was sweet enough to give me some sterling bead caps to try on my beads. The rounded look of the tubing appeals to me.

I learned how important the length of tubing is since I ruined a couple beads by ripping the metal. Could be I used to much force btwn turns, too.
My favorite is the copper capped ivory bhb, the different metals compliment the bead so well. Sadie gave me the wonderful bead caps on that bead- all these nice bead caps make me feel like trying to make my own in metal clay...hmm.
The pretty green bead is one of Hayley's that she let me use as a test bead.

The Jim Moore press was very nice, although you're not able to get that nice rounded look in the tubing. And my favorite part on his press is the plastic die that helps push the tubing flush w/ the glass which makes the bead look so nice and professional looking.
Right now it's out of my price range since I couldn't justify spending over 300 dollars for something I may not use all the time.

Dave's Impress is very economical the different size pegs aren't as expensive as Jim's. Of course it's all a matter of perspective- if you always get the best tools for your money, then Jim's would probably be your best bet. Since I'm just starting out w/ coring beads, I figured Dave's is a great start and eventually I hope to buy Jim Moore's press if I continue to core my glass beads.

I noticed Hayley and Sadie ended up using BOTH presses during coring on a lot of their beads. If they wanted the rolled look, they'd use Dave's and finish up on Jim's using the plastic dies to get the tubing super flush w/ the bead. Ahh, if only we could combine the two and make the perfect bead liner..

Now I'm waiting *impatiently* for my Impress Bead Liner to come in the mail so I can play!

P.S. I would recommend Dave's Deburring Tool regardless of which press you have since it saved us SO much time in prepping the tubing!

No comments: