Monday, August 3, 2009

Translating Work from One Medium to Another

I can't seem to get this design off my mind- finally realizing the significance of 3, Z makes our little family a trio.
Now I wonder if the design may pop a little more if the glass were etched..something to do later. Another thing I noticed while making this bead is that the stringer needs to be much thinner in order to get the same amount of detail similar to my faux bone pendant. Not that I want them to look exactly the same, but I'd have a little bit finer look in the details.
*Is that correct English, or did my Kentuckiana upbringing shine thru? lol. *
The deets: the focal base is 'curdled' ivory w/ stringer work of Double Helix's new silver glass, Ekho. It was repeatedly heated and cooled while putting the stringer down and then finally briefly flashed in a reducing flame. I'm pretty sure regular Moretti Dk. Ivory would have curdled just the same since I had to repeatedly flash and cool while putting it back in my Kalera Long and Lean press to refine the shape.

No comments: