Monday, June 7, 2010

Pagoda Ring Class

The Pagoda Ring class at Ornamentea was great and especially nice since it was just me and one other student- which made it possible to pick our instructor's brain. Ndidi was a great teacher and we learned how to etch, something I've been wanting to learn to do for years now and it's so simple! There are a couple things safety-wise I might change, like the ventilation and wearing an apron, etc.
The leaf disc is Copprclay, not etched. For some reason my Copprclay hasn't wanted to sinter properly..not sure what the problem is, but planning on opening a new packet and will see if that makes a difference. A handy trick using tubing as a riser- got to use a tube jig for the first time and must say it's pretty handy. Which reminds me that I need to get over my fear of the saw from HF and use it for things like this. Got lots of compliments for the texture on this ring, reminds me of tooled leather. Still need to do some finishing touches, like filing and cutting the extra length on my fastener.

Stayed tuned for etched bead caps and new work soon. Planning on re-opening my Etsy shop sometime this week, just have a whole lotta work to photograph.

4 comments:

mairedodd said...

these are fantastic! etching is so wonderful isn't it? i love rings too!

Aquariart said...

Love rustic copper! These are very nice.

Aja Vaz said...

Thanks, and yes- it's pretty awesome seeing it etched!
Maire, have you done the toner transfer etch? I've got some acetone polish remover and plan to try it soon.

HappyDayArt! said...

They are super beautiful!

Catherine