Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Time Rushing

 These past few weeks since our move have been slipping by rapidly- can't believe I'm nearly 8 months along now. The San Antonio heat has been sapping my motivation to get things done, and it's not even summer yet.
 Decisions for our baby girl's room took me forever, nothing seemed right and I couldn't make up my mind..similar story for these bronzclay pieces. There is a nebulous idea floating about in my head, but the harder I try to focus on it, the more blurry it becomes. So my favorite fall-back option is in effect- I'll just wing it. It seems like forever since I've fired any metal clay, even had to look up the firing schedule to jog my memory.
 I'll have to show a pic of the backs after they finish firing, my idea was to have the option of stringing or wearing them as a brooch. A technician I am not, so we'll see if my idea pans out. What a pain in the posterior curved hollow forms are! Not sure why this was my idea of a smooth re-integration with metal clay.
Color is also something that has been nagging at my thoughts, and getting to use up some polymer clay that has been lurking in my closet (some of it for years!) is a bonus. Maggie Maggio and Lindly Haunani's book was a great learning tool. Maggie has a lot of great info and videos floating about on her website and youtube. Her color aesthetic is very appealing to me since I usually reach for those earthy/mud colors because they usually fume so nicely in glass. I'm proud of myself for getting all those colors mixed together and finishing this exercise, it will be a wonderful color tool for whichever medium I decide to use.

If the hollow pieces survive my somewhat inept touch, I'll post pics tomorrow.

2 comments:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Welcome to Texas! We'll have to get together sometime, probably after the new addition makes her entrance. I can't say that I've been doing any glass or bronze either, but silver has been getting all my attention. Brooches are a particular interest lately!

Aja Vaz said...

Thanks, Vickie, sounds great! And I've been enjoying your brooches. I'll eventually get the courage to use up my pmc pro and sterling.