Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Is Bigger Better?

These pieces were total impulses yesterday when I had some time to play w/ Copprclay.
The long one is approx. 4" x 1-2/3" and weighs in at 48 grams- they're both hollow forms. The round-er one is 2-3/4" x 2-1/2" and weighs 45 grams. It's a good bit of clay at 93 grams total.
I have to give credit to my friend, Sadie, since we were admiring her beautiful copper clay pendant at our last get together in Walnut Creek. Hers was more similar to the rounder one, and it had started developing this wonderful patina that was shiny and iridescent in certain spots.
I'd like to try painting a pattern on w/ slip, but probably need to practice on a less important piece. The long one is calling for something botanical, at least on one side- maybe a fern..
Then again, it is Copprclay and can be enameled. So many choices!

It's so nice to hold the long one in my hand, almost like a worry stone. I'm itching to get at least one done before the weekend's over, crossing my fingers it won't be crazy again like the last.

3 comments:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Whoa! I'll be very interested to see how they fire for you. How thick are the walls?

Aja Vaz said...

Hm, I rolled it the thickness of the blue ring on my roller, lol. Let me see if I can find out what thickness that is...aha, 4 card thickness.

Vickie Hallmark said...

Oh, well that should be no big deal. Good luck!